Friday, July 2, 2010

Race #18 Speedy Feet Casstown

Temperature was perfect. Not hot, not cold.
Wind was from the north east I thought until hitting the west section. Then it felt north west.

I took a warm up loop to test out the new aerobar rotation (more in to better overlap my hands). Going up 55 was going to be a struggle but down 201 was going to be fast. Lafevre was going to be okay with a little headwind it felt and Hufford was going to suck. Riding though town is always a crapshoot due to traffic potential.

5.4.3.2.1.go. Top 5 second power, top 20 second power, top one minute power, you get the picture. Route 55 came and went easier than the warm up loop passing two or three people. 201 flew by at about 30 mph. Lefevre seemed better than the warm up and I passed a couple more riders. Hit Hufford and BOOM! Combining the slight head wind, the slight incline and the crap road made it tough as usual. Cruise into town with no traffic issues and through the finish.

I ended up about 10-13 seconds slower than last month with an average around 24.8 (powertap measured) and a wattage of 249. It was hard to focus on Hufford and hard to hold a high wattage on 201 because of the speed.

Ended up 5th place on the night out of 35.

After the time trial Jeff, the promoter, wanted to have a mass start, draft legal time trial around the loop. I actually debated this for a few minutes but chickened out. Most of the riders were triathlete type and not road riders who time trial. Not exactly keen on riding near a bunch of people on aerobars. I'm not exactly the best rider on my tt bike as it is, as my 808's push me around a bit.

Next race isn't until next Tuesday (nothing on the board for the holiday weekend).

1 comment:

Noose and Goose said...

tri geeks can ride aerobars :) Sometimes it is just the Goose that tends to get loose!