Sunday, October 28, 2007

Flat land time trialler to hill climber?

Can it be done? With our upcoming move to Cincinnati, it looks like where we'll end up is in a rolling to hilly area with some steep pitches in the very subdivision we've been looking at. Since I started riding in 2001, I've basically (and for the most part literally) lived in the middle of a corn field. Other than a couple of short climbs like Horseshoe Bend, Meeker and Fred's "green" route, I ride on flat farm roads. It's made me into a decent time trial rider, but a climber I'm not. Although I am bound and determined to start next season up to 20 pounds lighter (I was 184.5 for the first race of last year) than the beginning of last, which is sure to help, I'm really excited to be moving somewhere that has actual climbs to train on! Between the hills, the weight and more cyclists to train with the goal is to do MUCH better as races like St. Leon, Wilkesville and Hueston Woods.

The sooner we break ground on the clinic, the sooner we start shopping for houses, the sooner I start riding hills. As a plus, Alan told me it's always 60 degrees in Cincinnati, even in the winter. He better be right...

On a side note, I may actually be cleared to ride today. It may be a few minutes on the trainer, but it's a start.

No comments: