Wednesday, July 29, 2009

#27 Tuesday crit

No racing last weekend. I was able to get about 4 hours on the bike between Saturday and Sunday, so I guess that's cool. 1.5 of it was on a trainer at an obnoxious hour though.

For the final two Team Dayton Tuesday crits, they changed it up and the B group had the course to themselves for 30 minutes of fun. After such a long day yesterday, I can't even remember how many people started the race. I knew there were more than a few that I could drop quick, so I went right to the front and led most of the first two laps. Then it came down to one guy in an Ireland jersey, one woman from Krietler, me and 6-7 team Dayton people.

/rant about training crits

Training crits are for training yourself. When 95% of the field is from your team it's pretty stupid to think you are there to practice team tactics. It just doesn't work and leads to (this term I hate) negative racing. A couple of years ago, we would just attack each other for the training of the whole thing.

/ok, better

The guy in the Ireland jersey spent a lot of time pulling everyone, but not attacking.
David Rich Jr, pedaled hard for 3 seconds and looked back. Again. Again. Again.
David was the only one who even feigned an attack.
Every time I went to the front I tried to hit the corners hard as I feel real comfortable racing there and am pretty confident in the corners. It's just the sprint I suck at. Which leads to...

Last lap bell and I find myself on the front. No big deal, so the plan was to hit corner 3 hard and see what happens. Couldn't shake anyone and most of them passed me by the rise at corner 4. It was a good workout though.

No comments: