Wednesday, October 15, 2008

More time trial testing

Minutiae . Leads to faster speeds?

I did two more time trial tests on Monday and Tuesday afternoons. The course was the same as last week's test where I averaged 26.6mph for the 5.6 mile course. Due to the weather being "roughly" the same, it made for a good testing experience. I posted that my speed was 26.8 earlier, but looking at it again, it turned out to be 26.6 at 272 watts.

After changing my position, I lowered my bars as blogged about previously. It closes me in a bit, but does (at least subjectively at the moment) make me more aerodynamic. The 26.6 mph test was done with this setup. Since, I have rotated my aerobars in toward each other to close the gap between my hands so they are touching. My theory is that the air can go around my hands as opposed to in between them. My subjectivity again. Monday's test had me at 26.9 at 279 watts. A little more watts and a little more speed.

Tuesday, I decided late in the afternoon to hit it one more time as I didn't have time for a long enough road bike ride to make it count. The weather was close to Monday's in regards to wind speed, direction and temperature. I shortened up my warm up to about 10 miles to make it to my starting point (Jackson & Dog Leg rd.), then hit it. In training, it's been difficult to push it as hard as in a race, as time trialling (for me) takes so much focus and effort. When training on open roads, I at least TRY to keep one eye on the traffic and that hurts my focus.

The end result was my first effort over 27mph with a speed of 27.6 for the 5.7 mile course with a wattage of 298. 298 is a real race wattage for me and surprising that I was able to get that in training.

I've kept no heart rate data in October due to some rash from my strap. I still need to wash the thing in alcohol before I wear it again.

Test 1 26.6 average 272 watts
Test 2 26.9 average 279 watts
Test 3 27.6 average 299 watts

Addendum to the training TT's.

1. No time trial clothing was used, except test 1 where I wore my long sleeve skinsuit with a normal jersey over top (to hold my cell phone in the pocket).
2. Bell Sweep helmet used for all tests
3. Rotated bars for tests 2 and 3

No comments: