Monday, January 26, 2009

Interesting - Race number 2

More watts and a slower time lead me to scratching my newly shaved head. All four Project Velo riders had anomalies in their wattage. Three of us used Power Taps and the fourth knows her wattage pretty well. Mine was the only wattage that read higher than normal. The computrainer said I averaged 302 whereas my Power Tap read 282. I thought it was closer right after the race, but after CyclingPeaks review, it was off 20. But with the higher wattage than two weeks ago, I would have guessed a lower time, right? Wrong! 13 seconds slower. Hopefully, the issue will be taken care of before the next TT.

After that, we had our season kick off team party. We had all but 3 riders (I think) show up. One nice thing we are doing this year is a training camp. Hopefully, my schedule will be as such to make it.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't get it either. I went up 4 watts on the CT and went 6 seconds faster. That I'll believe. But last time my Quarq was within 6 watts of the CT. This time it was 20w off(read 348w, CT read 328). But fro some people to increase 40w in 2 weeks seems fishy, especially with the discrepancies you guys had.
Oh well, hard training is what I chalk it up to.

Bryan Hellard said...

I don't know why I'm getting all anal retentive about this but: Shayne had less than one watt more than Kyle and beat him by two seconds. I'm pretty sure that Kyle is much lighter unless Shayne cut a leg off while I wasn't looking. It would be interesting to know how much Dennedy weighs (as I don't know him). If he weighs around 150, he should start training for the hour record.

Unknown said...

Dennedy is at ~200, but still 50 watts in 2 weeks? That's a bit much.

Anonymous said...

Bryan: Scenario with more watts slower time - Power increases cubed vs air speed, if you put out more watts on the downhill and less on the ups this time compared to last = more watts slower time
cslone: perhaps last time he trained hard the days b4; this time tapered?
Shayne vs Kyle: perhaps same as above: smart use of watts vs air speed

Unknown said...

I did find out today what may explain Dennedy's better time. Shayne says he was on a P3 last time vs his road bike this time. That's giving up a bunch of watts right there I'm sure.

But with some of the issues we were having with consistency on some of the runs, I'm still a bit skeptical of some of the numbers. Oh well, like I said, all in fun.

Bryan Hellard said...

"smart use of watts vs air speed" - Is this applicable on an indoor time trial?

Anonymous said...

Yes it is applicable to an indoor TT. The computrainer software algorithm includes an areodynamic drag factor(cd). Thus if this function is not disabled then power increases cubed vs speed. The cd is also adjustable to factor in rider frontal area. I doubt the promoter change this. Therefore the bigger men(Dennedy,Shayne, & Waite)would have an advantage over the smaller stature riders. A bike throw would make no difference however :)
all in fun

Unknown said...

Hmm, I'll have to confirm. I thought he did turn that off. I do know the "drafting" function(if that's even the correct term for it) was turned off, not sure if that's the same thing or not, I'm not real familiar with computrainers.

Bryan Hellard said...

I think you guys just said "Make it hard on the Project Velo riders".....