Thursday, April 9, 2009

Blue streak April #6

Wednesday evening met the 43 of us with a stiff wind out of the west. That's both good and bad as the time trial starts off heading west (bad), but has the longest section heading East (good), but finishes heading back west (suckatrash).

I arrived early in what is not a shock to anyone and registered 10th with start time of 6:05 with the 30 second interval for riders. Didn't really warm up too great as I forgot my trainer and pedaled circles around the salt filled parking lot praying I wouldn't blow a tire. There's no holder at blue streak so it's necessary for the sake of saving seconds to be able to clip in quick. Luckily, I did. The start into the wind sucked. Highest one minute power a minute out of the gate. Passed my 30 second guy even before the first right turn. Of the 9 people that started ahead of me I passed 6 overall. Felt decent on the back stretch, not killing power but having a decent speed due to the tail wind.

The end result was that I was 0.3mph off of my speed the only other time I rode this tt and I was in shape then. My average was 24.4 that put me first in my age group and 6th overall. Really I was 8th fastest but two people ahead of me were on HPV's (so they don't count). Out of 43 people, I'll take 8th.

On a HUGE bummer note, I found out that Master's Nationals time trial is only going to be 16 miles!? I'm not wasting the time, money and energy for that. It's a $60 race fee and a 3 hour drive, plus hotel.

Who knows where it will be next year, but oh well.

Next up: Saturday at Deer Creek. Time to get my ass handed to me (again).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

4 seconds buddy. I'm coming for you with bells on. I had my highest 1m, 5m and 20m power for the season last night too. But I've only got 1200 miles since September when the baby was born, so those numbers aren't very high to start with.

Nice job, good luck at DC. I'm leaving for Denver here in a few minutes. Maybe all that extra elevation will help me. :)