Monday, April 6, 2009

Hueston Woods road race #5

First road race of the year. Conditions were absolutely perfect. Decent sized field of what I'm guessing to be north of 30 riders. So what went wrong? Damn near everything. On the finish line hill on the first lap I had a mechanical (chain jumping) and that blew any momentum I could have had. After then getting dropped, I nearly made my way back to the field and as luck would have it someone attacked JUST as I approached. Field strung out and that was all she wrote. I spent the next 1.5 hours time trialling. I finished the race in 1:58 for the 38 rolling miles and checking the powertap of a team mate who finished with the field, he finished in 1:53.

In talking with another team mate after the race, I commented on my chain and said that the chain was jumping in my favorite cog for the last few days...he asked how many miles I had on it and then my head turned into a jackass. I have around 20,000 miles on this cassette. It's the original from when I bought the Orca. Time to place an order.

Anyway, that race was a complete disappointment. I understand that I'm not a lightweight climber (hill top finish, three climbs per lap), but I thought I should have done better. The good news is that I have two more races this week (weather permitting) to redeem myself.


Do I look dead or what?

1 comment:

Dobovedo said...

I hate to laugh at your misfortune but you have an amazing gift for making bad luck sound funny! 20k miles on a cassette without replacing a single cog?!? That's actually quite impressive.