Monday, June 22, 2009

#20 Ohio State time trial championship

After the USA Cycling changed the master's tt to 16 miles I decided that my goal race of the year would be the state time trial. Knowing early on that it would be on a flat course helped! Even though my training has been terrible due to health/work/lack of time issues/fat ass, at least I have been feeling pretty good just about every time I ride my time trial bike. On a side note, just about every ride on my road bike has been for crap.

Around 110 riders were registered for the time trial in Versailles and it was awesome that they closed the road at the start/finish! It made for kind of a professional feel to the event...well as professional as I can dream of. The juniors went first but I was the 7th adult to start on the day. Seeing the quality of the field ahead of me (Gary Painter, Peter Wimburg, etc) I knew I would be lucky at best to pass anyone on the day. Seeing the quality of the people behind me scared me enough as well!

The 'out' portion of the course went south then east for 9.something miles, all with the wind at our backs. Felt really good and my average was almost 27 at the turn around. I did pass my one minute man around 7 miles in. The turn around was on a slight down grade so we had to jut up a little rise immediately. Ouch. Into the now head wind. Ouch ouch. The ride back was a struggle fighting the breeze. It wasn't bad, but just enough to matter to me and I averaged only right at 23 on the return half for an overall average right around 25. Right around my typical speed.

This was good enough for the win in my age group!

Full disclosure time
In the 35-39 age group there were 5 people. I beat three of them and the person who beat me was from Indiana and was not eligible for a medal. But I don't care, gold is gold is gold.

In checking my data I was happy to see a decent power average for a course this long. It's getting close now to my old averages for shorter tt's of last year.

That makes 6 wins on the year, one better than last year and several more races to go.

4 comments:

Noose and Goose said...

Good job - as you said gold is gold!

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Great Job Bryan. I just love seeing all you guys kicking ass in the races. Keep it up!!

vclune said...

You mean 19 miles, not 16. Don't sell yourself short.

Bryan Hellard said...

Vince, I meant the Master's National time trial was shortened to 16 miles so I opted out of doing that one.