Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Race #9 Cleves TT

Another Tuesday, another time trial! It's great to live close (within reason) to a weekly time trial. I didn't figure a whole lot of people would show up due to the weather, but I think there were around 35 riders. I rode the course in reverse to warm up and NAILED a big hole with both wheels. I figured my day was over right then, but my tires didn't flat out. Lucky!

I started 25th and didn't go balls out as usual for the first half mile or so (though my powertap said my highest 20 second, 1 minute and 5 minute power were all from the start...oops).

It got a little misty from the rain, but for the most part there was no real rain coming down, just wet roads. I kept watching my average speed and it hovered right around 24 as there was a slight headwind at the start. After the power plant, the speed really picked up, but somewhere my powertap lost 45 seconds. It just died from what I'm guessing was it being waterlogged. I didn't see that as it happened so when I crossed the finish line, my computer read a new personal record by well over a minute. Well, the official time had me get a PR but only by 20 seconds. It wasn't until after downloading my data at home did I discover the outage on my powertap. I hope it was just the rain that did that and not something worse.

Anyway, the data is suspect. It said 271 watt average with a speed of 24.1. The average speed is wrong by 0.3 or so and I'm not sure I believe the wattage because that's not what I'm capable of producing right now. Whatever, at least I felt pretty good out there.

No comments: