Monday, September 13, 2010

Race #36 Colavita Centerville Indiana 20k

Sunday was a time trial at a new course for the series. A 20k out and back over mostly flat rural roads. My kind of race course! My start time was 9:07 so per usual I was up and out early with a 1.5 hour drive ahead of me. After too much loitering around I took about 20 minutes to warm up on the trainer then headed to the start house for the pregame meeting and finished warming up around the finish line.


The race started with an immediate left then right turn before settling into things. Legs felt as good as they have all year and my average was 25 at the turn. After turning, I realized there was a slight tail wind going out! It was just enough to hold my speed down by 1 mph. I finished with a 24.5 average good enough for 7th out of 12 in the 40-49 division. A couple of Zipp Factory riders took first and second in our group. They don't usually race in Ohio so we don't see them very often.

As a door prize I won a Spinervals DVD which will certainly get used over the winter.

The long drive home gave me ample opportunity to internally debate what lies ahead.

Number 1 - Due to my back problems, I am not doing any more cyclocross stuff this year. I end up in too much pain the next day to justify the riding. It’s over and above what’s now the ‘normal’ back pain I am having. As opposed to buying any more cycling gear I am going to be spending money to fix my back. It’s going to be a long process, so I guess it’s good that the season is almost over (for me). The back won’t be fixed overnight.

Number 2 – With the long drive and bad results it’s making me really debate doing the series next year. In the four years that the series has been around I think I have missed two races, one when I was in Peru and the other was when I was in Scotland, both acceptable reasons for no showing! Until I get the other health situation straightened out it makes no sense to make the long drives to Celina/St Marys/Portland In., etc. Over the winter, I intend to train very hard, among other things to get myself back to health to a standard acceptable. Before all this crap started, I was approaching 27.5 mph average (even hitting 28.0 once) in my 5 mile training trials and was nearing the 26.0 barrier in actual races. I’ve hit the 25mph twice this year with an even slicker position than ever. Wattage went from high 200’s (I hit 313 average for a short tt) down to the 250-260 mark.

I love the series and the effort that is put out by Roger and Christina (and everyone else), but a four hour round trip drive to ride 24 mph is stupid and depressing.

Number 3 – I’ve racing four more times this year. I’m finishing out the Cleves and Colavita series. Three more races at Cleves and one race in Greenville for the Colavita series. Luckily, my back doesn’t hurt during time trials.

Next up: Tomorrow at Cleves!

1 comment:

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Hang in there Helldawg. Best of luck with your back issues. It will turn around. Even though you think you have poor results, many would kill to ride that fast.

The important part is that you have continued to ride where many would have quit. Once your healthy, that enging will be on fire!

VENGA!