Friday, March 14, 2008

Pissing on who got you there?

A few cases have come up in the last couple of weeks where I've found people completely pissing on organizations who either got them or helped them get to where they are today. One was work related and one was cycling related (hence the post about it on my cycling blog).

Work was related to someone completely crapping on their former company and other companies "in the industry". Professionally, this is a bad way to go. You will never know when it could come around and bite you. I worked for a company years ago (left in 2000), and found myself just last year co-working on a large project with them! How bad would it have been for me, my client and the company if I would have spent the better part of seven years dragging them through the mud?

Cycling was relating to a rider commenting about his old team. How they didn't do "this" or "that" to his personal approval level of expectation (whatever that my be). What if your current team manager overheard that, or read it on a blog? If I was that manager, I would think as soon as their done with my team, he's going to bitch about things, policies, what we did wrong (in his opinion)

What comes around goes around. When outsiders have a listen to what you say, it makes them wonder if you soon be bitching about them when their situation changes. You don't know in this day and age with blogs, forums, and email, who is reading what and it could be about you. In a more traditional sense, with local industries being fairly incestuous, you never know that the person you are bitching to is friends with the person you're bitching about.

In the business world, I've found it's best to keep my mouth shut (non disclosure agreements help with that :) )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm with you on that one B. One reason I keep the "lines open" and cordial with both teams. You just never know.