Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Boredom leads to math

Being 9pm and tired of working for the day, I thought it would be fun (!?) to figure out how many miles my Orca has. The first ride was on August 20th, 2004 and in that time I've put 13,799 miles on it. That may not seem like that much, but in that time frame I have also had:

2 Fuji's that I was obligated to race in 2005 and 2006 (no longer have either)
1 Giant TCR (no longer own)
1 Trek 5200
1 Orbea TT bike (in pieces waiting to sell it off)
1 Specialized TT bike

The Orca has undergone several changes over the years:
1. New dérailleur hanger. Bent in training ride wreck
2. Replaced FSA K-wing (expensive) bars with aluminum (cheap) ones. Broke the K-wings in a race crash in 2007 when I endo'd over Todd Frye who wrecked in front of me.
3. Replaced stock carbon seat post with Thomson Elite post. Stock post was frozen and had to be professionally removed.
4. Many saddle changes
5. Rear Kysrium Elite replaced with American Classic Sprint 350 w/Power tap sl
6. replaced computer with Power Tap
7. New cabling, bottom bracket, bar tape, brake pads, tires, tubes and chains
8. New cassette to go with the new wheel

I think that's it. I've calculated a bunch of times to the best of my ability how much money I have wrapped up in this bike. It's not pretty. I still love riding it and I intend to ride it until it dies on me.


In 103 "career" races over the past 3.5 years, I have won $77.50. Not bad considering I spent about $25,000 in bikes, mileage, fees, hotels and food to make that happen. Sheesh.

No comments: