Sunday, June 22, 2008

#14 Ohio State TT Groveport

Well, this was the one I waited all year for. Love/hate the course and it's a great challenge. The question early on was should I register age group or category. Last year I did age group so I opted for category this time (raced category in 2006).

In 2006, the year I was doing my best time trials, I had a 23.9 average.
In 2007, I was up to 24.0
This time around I averaged 24.5, shaving around 40 seconds off last year's time.

Official time was 57:57, power tap reading 57:52. That didn't matter as the place ahead of me beat me by almost two minutes. I ended up 4th in my category out of 11. Had I raced age group, I would have finished in second and would have earned a shiny silver medal to go with the collection. Out of the near 100 racers, I was about 40th. Some really good riders out today with Paul Martin in the 49 minute range setting a new course record. Quite a few people were in the 52-53 minute range.

Although disappointed with my choosing of category, I was quite happy with my time and power output. I am worried about the power loss over the second half of the course. We had a tail wind, so my return trip was faster by 2mph but my power average was 25 less.

Now it's a shift of gears with my choice of 3 criteriums this weekend. I'm leaning toward Hyde Park Saturday. STUPIDLY, it's already an expensive race for the time - 30 minutes for $25. What yanks my chain is a $10 day of race fee tacked on. I hate preregistration due to the weather and my lifestyle. I don't know what the heck is going to happen to me by Saturday. For all I know I may end up in Brazil or something.

2 comments:

Dobovedo said...

I hear Brazil is really nice this time of year.

Seriously... congrats man. Good placing but the real measure is the personal best time/average.

Unknown said...

But Hyde Park has a HILL. I'll be at Grandview.

Nice job on the TT.