Thursday, August 21, 2008

Blue Streak TT #28

Last night was my first attempt at the blue streak course. I've seen fast times, so I wanted to check it out at least once before I move. This was the last of the series for this year, but they are going to host 6 races next year.

I felt like crap most of yesterday and I have no idea why. Stresses with our building/my job/house sale are kind of building up (maybe I should be on the internet less, ya think). Weird shooting pains were hitting me all over. Suck it up cupcake and race. There are only 3 or 4 more races and this season is over.

Not knowing the protocol of being on a military facility, I kept the warm up mostly in the parking lot until I finally saw people on the road. I didn't want to do something wrong and end up in the "stockade"! The warm up was not typical of a usual time trial for this distance but felt ok throughout.

I started 17th on the day and wanted to catch Shayne who started 3 placed ahead of me. I passed around 9 or 10 riders, but no Shayne. The back stretch was brutal where I was giving it everything and holding only 21mph, but everyone was having that problem.

End result was a TIE for 9th out of 80+ riders (with Shayne) with an average of 24.7 according to the results. Never been that fast and felt like such ass. I'm discounting the guy who finished first because he was riding a missile (full aero HPV-recumbent). My powertap showed 24.4 average, but what scared me more is that I was over 190bpm for 15 minutes+. I usually TT at 180-185. No wonder I felt cooked and dead. It took about two hours for my heart rate to settle to normal, that freaked me out as my heart rate is usually in the 60bpm range just sitting around. For comparison, my heart rate right now is 54 after one cup of morning coffee. Last night it was around 100-110 for too long.

I'm not happy with a decent result when I raced and felt like crap. I'll chalk this down as the worst time trial I've ever done.

Ok, it took me a few minutes to realize what was up. I forgot that I ate a lot of mixed nuts yesterday for lunch and I have a low grade allergy to some of them. Nuts have tanked races for me before. That was dumb.

No comments: