Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Speedy Feet TT #27

Four for four! Even though I had to come to a complete stop on the course because of a family hogging the path, I ended up with a 24.8 average and won by 18 or so seconds over 2nd place. 295 watt average for the 17 minutes and change.

I started first, a position that most people hate. I wanted that spot because it minimized the amount of people on the course at least for the "out" section. The course being a small open bike path, I think it's important to have traffic at a minimum. The course today was lengthened to 3.6 miles out and 3.6 back, so it was about a mile longer than last month. At mile 3, I was barreling along at 28.7 mph and came upon a family of four walking the way I'm riding and the two young kids were wandering around. Crap! I yelled 'PASSING'. Luckily, they moved over but not before I had to shut it down. The wife said she was sorry, and I was able to get out a "no problem" before ramping it up again. This being an open course, I can't really get mad at people using the multi use trail as it was such a nice night out. Anyway, trying to get back up to speed in my 53x13 or whatever gear I was in, I hit my max wattage for the ride - about 930. Way too high for a time trial.

After the turn around, I saw the guy who started right behind me and it seemed like he was WAY to close, so I spent the "back" section wondering if we were starting at one minute or thirty second intervals. I was also wondering if I was going to get passed. I pushed as hard as I could and was in the red the whole way back.

There was actually more than a slight headwind coming back, confirmed by the data, as the course is flat. Maybe it's slightly downhill going out, I don't know.

Out
8:03
26.7 average
272 watt average
167 heart rate average

Back
9:20
23.1 average
313 watt average
179 heart rate average

Overall
17:23
24.8 average
295 watt average
174 heart rate average


Results

1 comment:

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

Great job even with dodging the Brady Bunch. hahaha