Monday, August 25, 2008

Wright Ride 2008

Due to time limitations, I opted for the 64 mile route. Hmm, 64? Oh well. I was solo and just wanted to ride my own pace, hard where I wanted and easy where I wanted. Stop often for cookies. Not really much to report but when I got back to the parking lot I had 68 miles so I turned around and did the opening hill (pinnacle point) again which is 1 mile long and back down to get near an even 70 miles for the day. 70.11 miles took me almost 4 hours. 17.9 I think was my average. Couldn't exactly go fast due to the road situation. More below.

THE GOOD


Plenty of snacks
Plenty of rest stops
Great weather
Slightly rolling terrain
Great paint on the route for the most part

THE BAD

The absolute WORST roads I have ever ridden on bar none for that length of time. Preble County must have had extra gravel for their annual chip-seal party. Many times we were riding on roads that were not there over top of gravel/dirt. Then there was the miles of chip seal. From the first rest stop on the 64 mile loop back to that same rest stop, the roads were absolute crap.

I'm not doing that ride again, which is unfortunate. You can't control the county chip sealers, but you can control (at least I'm assuming) the fact that we had to ride over roads that were shit.

No comments: