Thursday, September 11, 2008

Test run

Monday and Tuesday were test runs of the new equipment on the time trial bike. Encouraging preliminary results. Training rides are much different than race day rides though and Saturday will be the real test. It appears that the same wattage gave me about another MPH and my typical MPH average had lower wattage. Then again, these test runs were not done on a race course, just my typical TT practice route. Breezy but not windy so I had to run tests in all four directions, etc. I can only imagine what people think when they see me running tests over and over (and over) on the same stretch of road when they're out mowing the lawn or something.

After the TT Saturday there is one more next Tuesday then that is it unless QCW has any more on the books that I care to drive 1.5 hours to get to (for a 10 mile TT, I doubt it). After that, more changes are going to happen. When I originally got "fit" on my bike, the "fitter" gave me a hand out with dimensions for both the FIST setup and UCI setup. Subjectively, I (wrongly) chose the FIST setup. With Master Nationals being a priority for next year, I am going to switch over to the UCI setup right after the final TT. I'm going to use the rest of September and October to "fiddle a liddle" with my position while staying within the confines of UCI legality. Depending on the results, it's one of two directions: Find another bike fitter, preferrably a big name in the business, or head to the A2WT wind tunnel. If my own testing is solid and I'm getting decent results, I'll go for the tunnel to tweak. If I am unhappy with my results, it's time to overhaul the position with a fit guru.

No comments: