Sunday, July 15, 2007

#28 Team Dayton crit - ouch

Only 7 "35+" masters showed up this morning for a little 30 minute crit. But I knew three of them were hard riders, Todd Frye, Dan Waite and Rick Toler. While Rick and Dan were in a break about an 1/8 lap ahead, we rounded turn 3 and Todd's front wheel flatted. He originally survived the initial shock, but a second later met pavement. I was right behind him and wasn't able to miss burying my front wheel into his back as he was laying on the ground. Had I tried to "make the turn", I could have quite possibly run over his head, but I didn't have the time to make the call as it all happened instantly. We were going quite fast at the time.

The laundry list...
BIKE
Bent shifter (fixed)
Torn bar tape
Gouge in the FSA K-wing
Wheels need re-trued

BODY
Hematoma on my head (cracked and destroyed my Bell Sweep) that's now almost gone
Bruises on my head from the helmet
Headache
Small cuts on my elbow and hip
Big cuts on my shoulder (where there was already scar tissue from two previous wrecks years ago) which are covered in tegaderm.
Bruised hip - this hurts the worst.


But - I've been able to speak coherently (well, as coherent as I can get) so it looks as if I avoided my third concussion.

No cat 3 race today as I left the park early and went home to recover.

No comments: