Monday, July 2, 2007

#25 & 26

Saturday was the monthly Greenville time trial put on by Colavita Ohio. The road is chip seal to within 2 feet of the yellow line on each side of the road so therefore most riders ride close to the yellow. Apparently there was an issue at the May TT (which I didn't go to) with 5 cars stacked behind a rider because they weren't able to pass as the rider was on the centerline. We received a stern warning that anyone would be DQ'd if they rode the center. So the whole 20k was spent riding the damn bumpy chip seal. Yuck. My time ended up better than my two previous efforts on this course. Ended up with a time of 30:23, besting my fastest time by 5 seconds, with an average around 24.5 mph. This was enough for 4th out of 10 in the 30-39 division and 9th out of 48 overall. The goal is to break 30 minutes and I have two shots left to do just that.

Sunday was the Ohio Cup's Tour de Grandview. This was my first time on this course and if I knew ahead of time that there was a hill, I would have saved the long drive and race fee. I was in the 35+ division. Right from the get go I missed clipping in (twice). I haven't had that issue in two years (Pur Tour 2005). Right OTB before the first turn. I lasted 8 or 9 laps out of 18 before getting pulled by the official. That's the first time I've been pulled from a race. James Raddin from Bandwidth solo'd away for several laps for an uncontested win. Nice!

I was very impressed with the Tour de Grandview. It had a "big time" feel to it. It was organized, run well, low race fee, had a great announcer and it seemed like the whole community turned out in force to cheer the racers on. Normally the only crowds out there are family and friends of the racers!

No comments: