Saturday, July 26, 2008

#23 Pancake stage race stage 1

I felt great today. My purpose was to try and tire some guys out so my team mate good get a good finish, but saving myself for a good position. At the line they added the 6 women to our race. No problem, two of them are on my team! The race was frustrating because only a handful of people wanted to work. One wheel sucker in particular sat second wheel quite a bit and would never pull through. Why sit THAT far up only to do nothing? Several times I rolled from 5-10th position up to the front and drilled it to keep the pace high. It worked somewhat as several people dropped out or dropped off from the group.

Then

40 miles into the 44 mile race, I flatted. Shit. Got picked up by sag and he drove me back to the start/finish line. I talked to the head referee and he was very fair and understanding about the whole thing. He is giving me the next place after the last place finisher. So that means I start first in the time trial tomorrow morning. The results weren't totally done when we left so I don't know exactly how many points I am behind. It will probably be too much to make up for a high GC placing. All I know is that I'm going all out in the time trial to save the weekend.

No comments: