Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Speedy Feet time trial #20

3 for 3! The route was extremely interesting due to river flooding. Although the water was down, there were tons of sticks and LOGS on the route. I got there early to get some extra riding in and took two practice laps over the 10k course. Luckily, after my 2nd run, Jeff the promoter cleaned the course with a snow shovel making it 1000% better for the actual race.

I felt very odd on the 'out' section. There was a head wind and I was rolling around 300 watts (about my limit for a 15 minute interval). The odd thing was that it felt extremely easy like I was floating. ? I had that sensation a couple of times when I was running a lot, I guess it's called a runner's high. Never had a cycling high. I didn't want to push it because I was going the speed I wanted at the power I wanted and was worried about blowing my nut too early. Due to the turnaround being on the tiniest section of bike path, I had to unclip, come to a complete stop and 3-point a 180 degree turn. That killed loads of time. Then I got back up to speed and had an uninteresting ride back to the finish.

I ended up first again, but only with a margin of one second. I was 7 seconds slower than last month, but with 10 more watts average. The course was 'just so slightly longer' than last month according to the power tap. Finished with my highest 15 minute wattage ever by 10 watts. That was nice.

Results:
http://www.speedy-feet.com/results/MRTTT_July15.htm

I hope to have another cycling high. Cruising around at 25mph with 300 watts and NOT feeling it was cool.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job! I almost went last night but that course scares he hell out of me.

Blue Streak tonight!

Bryan Hellard said...

I forgot about Blue Streak until someone mentioned it last night. Crap, I could have had six races this week!

Unknown said...

You can still go. It doesn't start for another 6 hours. :)