Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What's harder?

Geek time. I did the A race last night as there were only about 15 A's and 10 B's. Got dropped twice in 1:05. Felt really good at times, felt really bad at times. Tonight was the Ramble, as much of it as I could do (which wasn't much). What "felt" harder? Tonight was a smaller group than the crit, 5 vs 15. Tonight was also hotter and more windy and the course was more difficult, not to mention the talent level was higher. Of course, this being the back half of two hard days made things feel more difficult.

Calculating my 30 minute peak from both rides yields:
Ride Crit Ramble
time 30m 30m
dist 11.53 11.47
watts 248 252
norm 280 277
hr ave 169 173
mph 23.0 22.9

Subjectively, I felt ok after last night's race. I felt like absolute crap when I got dropped ON A FLAT SECTION tonight. Riding home was no picnic either. Speed was low but power was high as the entire trip home was into the 25+mph wind.

Hey, we got scolded by some lady tonight about where we were supposed to ride. Cute. I swear to people are lucky I wear my team jersey for almost every ride or I would be launching into tirade after tirade against them when they act like owners of the road. I was a good team member and kept my mouth shut and rode around her (as she sat idle in an intersection...?). Normally (99.9% of the time) traffic is great where I ride. Occasionally, I'll get the doofus on the cell phone that isn't paying attention, but generally, there's little problem. I don't care much about some senior citizen passing too close or someone almost turning into me, but seriously, keep your damn mouth to yourself especially when you have no idea about cycling and the law.

The good news is that it's been about two years since someone's yelled "GO LANCE" to me.

2 comments:

Dobovedo said...

Geez, you're lucky. I get that stupid Lance comment all the time. Still.

Craig " Egg " Carroll said...

When we go to Ga for training camp in December, I used to get run off the road by hillbillies. Scary. Since the TDG began, it's been great and everyone says go Lance. I'll take it. hehe

No sense in debating a driver because it goes nowhere. We did the right thing and rode on. This is also why I moved the location again. 3 rides from one place gets attention, police etc etc.

We didn't know you were off until we were on Rudy. Keep it up man!!

Venga!