Saturday, July 12, 2008

Colavita TT July #19

Leading into this time trial, I had a pretty hard week. Two races Sunday, hard ride Monday, TT practice Tuesday, Ramble on Wednesday. By Thursday I was dead, and struggled for an hour on the TT bike. On Friday I was feeling pretty good again and got out for a near three hour ride. Overall at the start of the day I felt pretty good and ready.

The weather was perfect, warm and humid. Due to me being my normal early self, I was first to start. That's fine with me in a short race. I do like having "rabbits" in long time trials, but for a 20k it's no big deal. There was just a slight headwind going out and really I couldn't have asked for better weather. My secret I alluded to a few posts ago, was whenever my speed slowed down due to a roller, I was going to stand up as opposed to trying to grind it out. I ended up doing that three times.

Last month, I ended with a time of 30:03, which beat my best time by 20 seconds. This month, I shaved another 36 seconds off my previous best with a time of 29:27 (time via powertap). I think my official time was 29:30. This month, however, my power was lower overall. I think that's due to last month's headwind.

My time was good enough for 3rd place in my age group. Jim Matson came over from Columbus and had a time in the 27's to win our division. Due to starting first, I missed the rain that some of the riders who started later had to deal with. That was nice.

Overall, I'm quite happy with my time. I still want to tweak my position and get some bike upgrades, but all that may have to wait. Well, at least the bike upgrades will have to wait!

Next up, Speedy Feet time trial this Tuesday, followed by a potential crit on Friday (in Wapakoneta), crit on Saturday (Troy Classic) and two crits next Sunday (state championship in Miamisburg). Looks like next week will be kind of hard as well.

No comments: