Monday, July 7, 2008

Team Dayton Criterium Classic Masters #17

The first race for me Sunday was the 35+ master's. This is the 4th year in a row I've done this race and I think the most riders there has been was 12 or so. This was no different as 7 of us toed the line. The problem was that it was 6 Team Dayton guys and ME. Dan, Todd, Pete, Craig and two guys I don't know. I figured there would be at least a couple other non Dayton guys to work with but no such luck, so my plans changed immediately. I started out right on the front and worked hard for two laps to try and knock off a couple of guys. Only was able to knock off one. Then one by one I got attacked until a gap opened up that I couldn't close with Dan and unknown rider #1 up ahead. A lap or so later Pete, Todd and Unknown #2 took off and I couldn't close that gap. A few minutes later I was able to work my way back up to unknown #2 but he wasn't interested in working more than about 10% per lap. I figured he would just sit on and sprint around me for all of 5th place at the end.

I've been in this situation before, being well out of placing and dragging someone along with me who wouldn't pull. I'm not playing "match sprint" with anyone for 5th place. I at least want to get a good workout. At least at last year's Troy Classic, the wheel sucker had the maturity to roll up next to me on the final straight to tell me he wasn't going to be a jerk and sprint around me for 20th (or whatever) place after sucking my wheel for the last 20 minutes. I appreciated that. Well, after dragging #2 around for 90% of several laps and 100% of the last two laps, he sprinted around me and "won" 5th. Good for him.

35 minutes
13.543 mi
259 watts
274 norm
hr ave 180
23.1 mph

Time to rest up for the cat 4 race 3 hours later...

No comments: